2016年9月20日星期二

Independence of random variable

The independence of random variable is always one tricky question. Yesterday, my friend asks me one question: X and Y1 are independent, X and Y2 are independent, so are X and (Y1, Y2) independent? 

I thought that this should be right. But in fact, after one hour I could not prove it, although I have tried different ways. So I turned the mind; MAYBE IT IS WRONG!

In the next 5 minutes,  I gave a very simple counter example; Let X and Y1 iid Bernoulli, but Y2 = |X - Y1|. Therefore, we can verify that P(X = 1, Y1 = 1, Y2 = 1) = 1/4, but P(X = 1) = 1/2 and P(Y1 = 1, Y2 = 1) = 1/4.

My friend tells me the prof claims this assertion? What? So I review the question in the class. Ok, the question is about the gaussian, who can be a very special case since its correlation means the dependence.

没有评论:

发表评论